Monday, December 19, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup

I decided to make some soup today. Most of the time, I throw in a little of this and a little of that and a bouillon cube or two and call it soup. Today, I thought I would use a recipe - and ended up blending two recipes together.

I used a recipe on page 200 of Betty Crocker: The 300 Calorie Cookbook and a recipe on page 49 of Tosca Reno's The Clean-Eat Diet Cookbook. I ended up with the following recipe:

Ingredients:

Olive oil cooking spray

2 1/2 pounds tomatoes, assorted varieties
1 T. olive oil
1 c. carrots, sliced
1/2 c. onion, chopped
4 c. lite, fat-free chicken broth
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
1/2 c. orzo pasta
2 c. kale
1 tsp. honey
3 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. red pepper sauce


Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Cut tomatoes into smaller pieces and spread out on baking sheet. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in Dutch oven. Saute carrots and onion. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes and basil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.

It made a lot, probably 8 or more servings. I ran the recipe through a calorie counter, and it comes to about 185 calories a serving. The estimated cost per serving is $2.25.

I will be eating this all week. And will have to freeze some of it.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment