Thursday, January 19, 2012

“Is this consistent with my goals?”

Someone posted the title question on Facebook around the end of last year or the beginning of this year. It’s a good mantra for 2012.

What is the best use of my time? Should I be playing around online all of my waking, non-work hours? Some of this time is on social media, such as Facebook and various forums on topics that interest me. Sure, a social life is important, but should an online social life replace face-to-face time?

I think a well-balanced life consists of a balance of work and leisure, some socializing and some physical and mental activity. It includes a balance of online time and offline time. It also includes some alone time.

Yoga is good for the mind and body. I joined a 21-day online challenge, but soon dropped out, not because the routines were too difficult or not challenging enough, but because the videos kept buffering, regardless what I did to try to stop it. This affected my enjoyment of the experience. Strike one against online. Someone online pointed out that the whole challenge was available online. I have ordered the DVD set and am awaiting their arrival. One point for online.

I have a Y membership, but haven’t been going lately. Not good. Not only am I paying for the privilege of not going, I am missing out on the social aspect of working out with others. Another good aspect of working out live, in a gym, is the instructors can tell me if I’m doing something wrong, risking injury. When I use a video in the privacy of my home, I’m really on my own.

It is tempting to pick up a lot of extra shifts at work. This helps the budget, but too many shifts makes me tired and hampers my exercise and social life. Again, a balance is called for. A nice mix of work and play and everything else.

So…what is consistent with my goals? A nice mix of reading and writing, of working and working out and resting. Some days, of course, will be heavier on one than the other, but over the course of a week or a month, it will all even out.

No comments:

Post a Comment